ODBC Creation Guide
An ODBC Data source must be created on each LSM, Central
Service, and MMC console machine. The ODBC data source will connect to the VA2
repository. In addition, you may want to create or adjust the ODBC data
sources on the Central Server, so Analysis Rules and Statistic Collectors have
access to those data sources for monitoring.
- Find your Data Sources dialog box. On Windows 2000 it is
in Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Data sources.
On NT 4.0 it is in Start > Control Panel > Data Sources
- Select the Systems Tab on the ODBC Datasource properties
- Press the Add Button.
MSSQL ODBC data sources
- Choose the SQL Server ODBC driver in the Create New Data
Source dialog box.
- Press Finish
- Fill in the Name property. Suggested name is VADMIN21 –
that is the name that comes default in the Config file for the LSM and the
- Choose the Server that the ODBC connection connects to.
Opening the Server picklist should display a list of Known MSSQL Servers.
You want to choose the Server that supports your VA2 repository. Press
- Change the option to select Authentication with SQL Server
login ID and Password. Then make sure enter the correct username and
password before pressing next.
- Make sure to change the default database to the vadmin21
database installed. Then choose next, default settings are fine.
- All default settings are fine after changing the default
database. Press finish and Test, and you are done.
Creating an Oracle ODBC Data source
Creating an Oracle ODBC data source is much simpler than a
MSSQL ODBC. VA2 recommends using the Microsoft or Oracle provided ODBC
Driver. This is because the ODBC driver that Siebel provides by Merant has
licensing restrictions and can not be re-used by other applications. See the Oracle Install notes in the
installation guide for more details. The use of ODBC data sources for Oracle
usually require an Oracle client to be installed.
- Select the Microsoft ODBC for Oracle, or the Oracle Client
- Set the Data Source Name which is the VODBC name that is
referred to in the vconfig.txt files. The Username property is optional.
The Server property is the Oracle instance that supports the VADMIN21
Creating a DB2 ODBC Data source
The IBM DB2 client needs to be installed on the host
machine. Select the IBM DB2 ODBC Driver.
Enter the Data source name which
will be used in your vconfig.txt file. Database Alias will choose-able from the
dropdown list. Choose the Database that your DBA has created for your VA2